Date:      Thu, 01 Oct 98 14:57:15 -0800
From:      "Dan Baker"<dbaker@illuminetss7.com>
To:        <noodene@beloit.edu>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re[2]: A question?

     mkdir /mnt   (should already be there, but it won't hurt .....)

     /sbin/mount /dev/fd0 /mnt

Subject: Re: A question?
Author:  Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>  at Internet_mail
Date:    10/1/98 1:49 PM

According to Eric S. Nooden:
> Ok, I liked the Answer Man Q&A.  I never mounted my floppy drive before so
> I found it pretty informative.  Unfortunately, I ran into a problem
> mounting the floppy.  I did the fdformat, disklabel, and the newfs
> successfully but when I try to use "mount /mnt" I get the error:  "mount:
> /mnt: unknown special file or file system."  Have I done something wrong?

        Does the file mountpoint /mnt exist?  If not, as root,
        you have to create it.

> (I am using 2.2.7).  Also, after I get it mounted, how do I view its
> contents and transfer stuff to it.

        Once you've mounted the floppy on mount it will be empty
        (with only . and ..).  You can cp files to it or from it.

        # cp -rp /etc /mnt

        for example, to save your current configuration files; then

        # ls -lsR /mnt

        to see what's there.

        The filesystem you've created on floppy is a parallel to
        what you have on your hard drive(s).

> One more question:  I there a way I can
> print the page...when I try to (from Netscape on Win95) it causes Netscape
> to crash and no printing is done.

        Sorry, don't know nothin' about DOS/Lose95.  I could hand-wave
        here, but I deplore handwaving, so I'm cc'ing your questions
        to the -questions list.

        If you're not already subscribed to questions@freebsd.org,
        you might consider it.  Hundreds of super-savvy folk over
        there.

        Please let me know about your /mnt mountpoint and if you
        get everything working.

        gary kline

> Eric S. Nooden                                               Information
Technology Services
> Technical Service Manager(CET,MSC)        Beloit College, Mayer Hall #207
> Voice:  608.363.2458                                        Office hours:
0800-1700
http://www.inwave.com/~armyeric

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service uNix