Date:      Fri, 06 Jul 2001 09:00:04 +0200
From:      tobi@bland.fido.de (Tobias Ernst)
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   opera 5.0 release no longer works with flash plugin

Hallo!

Previously, I was using Opera 5.0b16 (IIRC), installed from FreeBSD
ports, and I was using the Linux flash player plugin, also from ports.
I simply had to symlink libflashplayer.so to
/usr/local/share/opera/plugins (again, IIRC, but somewhere there was a
opera plugins directory where I could symlink to), and voila, Opera
could show flash animations.

Today I cvsupped my ports and was happy to find that now the port for
Opera has been upgraded to 5.0 release. So I pkg_deleted my old Opera
installation and installed the new one, again via ports.

Now, the new port does no longer install a "plugins" directory. By
using truss, I found out that the new Opera version is now searching
for plugins in /usr/lib/opera/plugins. So I created this directory and
symlinked (also tried to copy) the flash player plugin and the
ShockWave.class file there. But it does not work. I see that Opera
finds the file and does something with it:

linux_open("/usr/lib/opera/plugins/libflashplayer.so",0,05041052214)
=3D 3 (0x3)
linux_newfstat(8,0xbfbfd918)                     =3D 2 (0x2)
read(0x8,0xbfbfc96c,0x1000)                      =3D 3 (0x3)
linux_mmap(0xbfbfc90c)                           =3D 1 (0x1)
mprotect(0x289ac000,0x425fc,0x0)                 =3D 3 (0x3)
linux_mmap(0xbfbfc90c)                           =3D 1 (0x1)
linux_mmap(0xbfbfc90c)                           =3D 1 (0x1)
close(8)                                         =3D 1 (0x1)
mprotect(0x28908000,0xa4000,0x3)                 =3D 3 (0x3)
munmap(0x28908000,0xe65fc)                       =3D 2 (0x2)

But it still refuses to play flash plugins, and the plugin list under
"appearanaces" is empty.

Is this actually a bug in the new port (I think at least that it no
longer installs a plugin directory is a problem with the port), a bug
in the newer version of Opera, or one in the Linux emulation?

Viele Gr=FC=DFe,
Tobias