Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2002 12:36:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Soft update instability with heavy IO and offboard IDE controller

On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, Karsten W. Rohrbach wrote:

> Robert Watson(rwatson@freebsd.org)@2002.03.24 09:22:47 +0000:
>
> > I have to say that my answer on the ATA write caching is a UPS. :-)
>
> i hope, this is not meant seriously. an ups keeps your system running in
> case of mains power outage, true. it does not help anything in the
> following (common) scenarios:
> - the power supply blows
> - bad power cable
> - neutron bombs ;-)
>
> honestly, judging from the quality of hardware you get in .de the first
> two things happen more often than a real power outage, so i'd say an ups
> is no viable solution when enabling ata wc. it may give you a warm fuzzy
> feeling, but that's about it :-)
>
> just my EUR 0.02, in case something makes it a FAQ to go into the
> handbook...

In my area, power grid failure is a real problem, far more likely than
power supply failure, unfortunately.  Obviously, in the end, it's a
tradeoff regarding performance and reliability.  If you want real
reliability, you have to buy hardware that actually behaves the way the
software expects.  I don't think anyone would be surprised if a future
generation of IDE disks ignored the 'write cache disable' setting to gain
performance.