Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2007 13:24:17 -0800
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        vivek.prasannan@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org, User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: w hangs before loading

On Mar 7, 2007, at 12:41 PM, Vivek Prasannan wrote:
[ ...cross-posting between freebsd-questions and other FreeBSD lists
      is generally not encouraged; Reply-To: set... ]

> When I type the command 'w' it holds for a while before printing
> the output.
> There is no firewall in the system, load average is below 0.8 and I
> suspect
> it is something else. Any thoughts on this.

The 'w' command attempts to look up the hostnames for any users which
are remotely logged in.

If you encounter a significant delay, that suggests that reverse DNS
(aka PTR record lookups) is not properly configured or is performing
slowly in your situation.

--
-Chuck