Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2007 10:25:26 +0100
From:      "Jan Catrysse" <j.catrysse@proximedia.be>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        'Bill Moran' <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Subject:   RE: RAID1 synchronisation - howto OR not necessary?

Hi Bill,

Thank you for your input.

I assumed this was common knowledge, but I can be wrong?
I've checked some other RAID controllers in the company and all of them =
have the need to be verified/synchronized once and a while. This happens =
in the BIOS for the more expensive cards (> 600=E2=82=AC) and with a =
utility/driver for the low budget cards...

In my case I am using a real inexpensive onboard Intel ICH8R controller =
but I presume even a low cost controller needs to do the job done. =
Furthermore it's only a simple mirror... Intel provides a small windows =
utility to synchronize.

This is what I found in a 3Ware manual:
Verification can provide early warning of a disk drive problem or =
failure.
...verification once every 24 hours...
Not verifying the unit periodically can lead to an unstable array unit =
and may cause data loss.
It is strongly recommended that you schedule a verify at least 1 time =
per week.
For a RAID 1 or RAID 10 unit, a verify compares the data of one mirror =
with the other. For RAID 5, RAID 6, and RAID 50, a verify calculates =
parity and compares it to what is written on the disk drive.

Cheers,
Jan