Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 2000 12:46:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>
To:        SADA Kenji <sada@bsdclub.org>
Cc:        jim@thehousleys.net, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/18777: New Port: misc/upclient4 www.uptimes.net client

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, SADA Kenji wrote:

> In article <200009041140.EAA16516@freefall.freebsd.org>
>
> You have to get maintainer's approval before you rewrite this line.
> Please discuss it with current maintainer if you want to be new maintainer.
>
> And I want to know current maintainer's idea about this upgrade.
> Hello Kelly Yancey, your upclient port is marked broken now
> and we are planning to upgrade its version and unbreak it.
> How do you think about this ?

  My rational behind marking the port broken was 2-fold: 1. The current port
didn't work anymore and 2. The new version of the software required
compile-time configuration. There was actually some discussion on -hackers a
long time ago (when I marked the port broken) about someone, possibly myself,
adding a config file or getopt support to upclient. Obviously myself and
others haven't found the spare cycles. :(
  It is my opinion that compile-time configuration is unacceptable for ports,
but if James wants to take maintainership of the port, then my opinion
wouldn't much matter. :)

  Kelly

--
Kelly Yancey  -  kbyanc@posi.net  -  Belmont, CA