Date:      Wed, 31 May 1995 17:19:27 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.atinc.com>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: DC6250 and Archive  Viper 150

> just saw a warning about using 6250 tapes inb certain drives designed to
> use 6150 tapes.  causes a change in the wear pattern on the head, which
> may result in increased error rates and reduced head life, especially
> when using 6250 and 6150 tapes in the same drive.

Hmm, never heard it myself.

> questions:
>
> 	will an archive viper 150 work with the 6250 tapes?

I hope so, since I've got lots of backups on both types of tapes using
my Archive.

> 	will they damage the drive?

I hope not, and I've not had any problems other than the tape drive is
rather small in comparison to the newer big disks.

> 	will switching back and forth hammer the head?

I got mine used and I've haven't had any problems with it using both kinds of
tapes.  I've also done backups from it, but most of them were from the 6150
tapes.  However, I lent the drive to a friend when I first got it and he did
a couple backup/restore cycles with 6250's w/out any problems.

I haven't used the drive much since I got the 4mm, but before that it
got lots of use in the last 3 years.

Nate