Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2001 00:20:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Hodge Podge <nicole@unixgirl.com>
To:        "F. Even" <freebsdlists@elitists.org>
Cc:        Michael VanLoon <MichaelV@EDIFECS.COM>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, Marc Rassbach <marc@milestonerdl.com>
Subject:   Re: 3ware stuff not ready for heavy duty useage-followup

On 22-Aug-01 F. Even wrote:
> Until you have introduced one seperate/additional power supply into this
> mess though, you can't discount it!!!  Jeez.  There have been other theories
> tossed out, but damn, that is a LOT of devices in a tight power tolerance
> there.  ALSO...what kind of system is this?  P4?  AMD?  Those both need MORE
> POWER.  It is not a "silly" suggestion.  Can you imagine that YOU might be
> wrong in immediately discounting every suggestion put forth?!  IF YOU know
> what it can and cannot be, then why did you bother to even post to this
> discussion list?  There must be no problem then, and if there is, you must
> certainly know what it is then......and if that is the case, you should in
> fact be able to fix it, right?

 Absolutly. However until I can test it.. Its just 1 Possibility. Also woudl
you not agree that since it was stated that since one needs to have IDE's in
teh same case as the MB that it woudl be a good idea for 3ware to do some tests
with 8 drives to say.. Hey.. This is what you need if you are going to use our
8 port card?

> ...and that one manufacturer's link you posted earlier...note, it said "up
> to" 13 drives.  Case probably comes with none, or they probably tell you
> that you need more power for that many.  If you look at their other servers,
> none of them are that anemically powered.

 I have seen the server. It is what is is it comes with all the drives. Yahoo
and google use lots of them.

 May I also point to the 3ware Palisade device... A 1U box with 8 hard drives.
 READS "Has dual power supplies.. Only needs one.."  Now I know that they are
Not getting a 400watt super stable power supply into a 1U case...

> ...and your comparison to 1 and 2U servers is not relevant, as most of them
> won't have that many devices crammed into them, hence NOT needing that much
> power.  Yeah...I have a couple 1U rack mountable VA boxes, and they only
> have I think 200W PS's....but, there is not that many devices being powered.
> Common sense here.  No one is not necessarily discounting that there COULD
> BE other problems, but you seem to not want to investigate anything else
> except the card.  If you can whip together one of those magical
> 300W/8+device SCSI machines to handle full-scale enterprise database access,
> then do that I guess.  Have fun.

 I made the comparison to point put that even 1U units with small power
supplies often also have large CPU's and 2 -4 hard drives in them. Simple math.

" but you seem to not want to investigate anything else"
 Hello? I seem to remember saying the exact opposite, but having more than 1
thing to test is wise won't you agree???

> ...oh please....the Galileo comparison is pathetic.

 Its late.. what do you expect War and Peace.

  Nicole

   *    Nicole Harrington | AKA Hodge Podge          *
  nicole@unixgirl.com           http://www.unixgirl.com/
  webmistress@dangermouse.org   http://www.dangermouse.org/
  nicole@deviantimages.com      http://www.deviantimages.com/