Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2005 20:31:06 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Julian Stacey" <jhs@berklix.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        jhs@berklix.org
Subject:   nslookup problem on FreeBSD-5.3: problem with non FQN domain

Hi folks,
Advice needed with nslookup &/or NXDOMAIN please:
I don't know if I've config'd something wrong or maybe found a bug ?

I have 3 servers all running the same named config files,
but with different FreeBSD uname -r versions:
	194.221.32.28	flat.berklix.org	5.3-rel
	194.221.32.7	tower.berklix.org	4.9-rel
	194.221.87.219	thin.berklix.org	4.10-rel

A problem came since I upgraded `flat' to 5.3,
  (& now running chrooted with /usr/sbin/named -u bind -t /var/named )

With all 3 servers, runing nslookup on the local server
	nslookup
	thin.berklix.og
responds normally with the IP,
but though `tower' & `thin' are also OK with non fully qualified name `thin',
running nslookup localy on `flat' now gives errors:
	nslookup
	thin
		Server:         127.0.0.1
		Address:        127.0.0.1#53
		** server can't find thin: NXDOMAIN
	server thin.berklix.org
		Default server: thin.berklix.org
		Address: 194.221.87.219#53
	thin
		Server:         thin.berklix.org
		Address:        194.221.87.219#53
		** server can't find thin: NXDOMAIN

On host `flat' a command such as "ping -c 1 thin" works fine.

After upgrading `flat' to 5.3 I ran a `mergemaster -sicv'
so most of my etc files should be OK.
I also tried "mv ~/.[a-zA-Z]* ~/tmp/" to check it wasnt that.

/bin/hostname
	flat.berklix.org
/etc/hosts ( on all 3)
	127.0.0.1               localhost localhost.berklix.org
/etc/resolv.conf has
	# domain        berklix.org
	nameserver      127.0.0.1
	nameserver      194.221.32.6
	nameserver      194.221.87.2
/etc/hosts.conf
	hosts
	bind
/etc/nsswitch.conf
	group: compat
	group_compat: nis
	hosts: files dns
	networks: files
	passwd: compat
	passwd_compat: nis
	shells: files

cd /usr/src ; find . -type f -exec grep -l NXDOMAIN {} \;
	contrib/bind9
		rfc/rfc1536.txt
			6. Name Error Bugs:
		rfc/rfc2136.txt
			NXDOMAIN    3       Some name that ought to exist,
                                  		does not exist.
	lib/libc/net
	   getaddrinfo.c res_data.c res_mkupdate.c res_query.c res_update.c
		h_errno = HOST_NOT_FOUND;
		rclass = C_NONE;
		* if (rcode == NXDOMAIN) then the dname does not
		* exist and the server is replying out of NCACHE.
		* in either case, proceed with the next try

I'm not using IPv6. I've not set up an AAAA rec (dont know what it is).
I dont need an MX rec, despite warning from
	http://dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=berklix.org
but I guess something is wrong ?
Any ideas please ?

-
Julian Stacey        Net & Sys Eng Consultant, Munich       http://berklix.com
 Mail in Ascii (Html=Spam).  Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.