Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 21:40:17 +0100
From:      Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <mekanix@privat.dk>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu, "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>, Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        Dave Tweten <tweten@nas.nasa.gov>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Q: Is 'buildkernel' supposed to work? Was: -STABLE buildkernel broke! (linux module)

On Monday 19 November 2001 21:09, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> The only people who should now be having problems with this are those
> who "manually" build kernels and don't 'rm -rf /sys/compile/MYKERNEL'
> or 'config -r MYKERNEL' regularly.

But is the "new" 'make buildkernel KERNCONF=BLABLA' supposed to work? The
reason I'm asking is that I used that method for several month until I
started having strange problems. I discovered then that /sys/compile/BLABLA
hadn't been updated since I started using the "new" way. Compiling the old
way, /sys/compile/BLABLA got updated. And recompiling the misbehaving apps
(various DVD-players) they began behaving!

Is there any reasons why /sys/compile/BLABLA isn't updated with buildkernel?
And what is /sys/compile/BLABLA? Is it just for kerneldebugging, or are they
the systems includefiles apps are compiled up against?

Bjarne