Date:      Thu, 22 Dec 2005 18:16:12 +0100
From:      Jorn Argelo <jorn@wcborstel.nl>
To:        Sasa Stupar <sasa@stupar.homelinux.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Q ML <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: KDE - how to?

Sasa Stupar wrote:

> --On 21. december 2005 19:43 +0100 Jorn Argelo <jorn@wcborstel.nl> wrote:
>
>> Sasa Stupar wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I have been searching and trying to build a FreeBSD with KDE desktop
>>> but I have not luck. The X starts but only the xdm.
>>> Is there some nice step by step guide for it? Don't tell me for
>>> handbook since I have tried to do it without success.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>

>> Open /etc/ttys with your favourite editor and search for this line:
>>
>> ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off secure
>>
>> Change this into:
>>
>> ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/kdm"  xterm   on secure
>>
>> And voila, KDM will start at boot.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Jorn
>

> OK. KDE is starting on boot but it won't let me to log in as root nor
> I can't su after I have logged in as normal user.
> And another thing: I have configure X with "xorgcfg -textmode" and I
> have specified my card, monitor, resolution. Hence, after the log into
> my account I have 640*480 only resolution. I have tried to change in
> preferences>peripheral>display but I have only one choose 640*480.
> What am I missing here?

1) Don't log into KDE as root. It's just not done. Create a normal user
who is in the wheel group, which solves your su problem.
2) X -configure is the way to automatically configure your X server.
Google for the Modes and DefaultDepth options in xorg.conf.
3) The FreeBSD handbook does an excellent job describing this :-)

Cheers,

Jorn