Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 1999 01:27:35 +0200
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   About the installation problem on IDE CDROM

where to post the information contained in this message.

A few days ago I installed the 3.3 release (Walnut Creek 4 CDs) from an
IDE CD-ROM in a curious way, and I wonder whether this installation is
somehow correct. However, I write so that  you should be able to
reproduce the situation and publish the results (if worth publishing) in
the ERRATA.txt.

My computer is an Intel Pentium III 450 MHz (ASUS P2B-F) 384 MB RAM, 3
HDs (4 GB WDC AC24300L, 8 GB IBM DHEA 38451 and 16 GB IBM DTTA 351680),
a Mitsumi FX240S (ATAPI),  a SCSI CDROM and a SCSI CD-writer (not boot
from there, sigh ...), among others.

Actually, my Walnut Creek CD #1 did NOT boot from my IDE CD unit at all.

I might simply have given up, and try the diskette method.

Instead, (oh my !) I inserted the CD #2 in my IDE CDROM unit ... and the
system booted !

It almost goes without saying that the installation process went on, and
when the "last chance" dialog box appeared, I reinserted CD # 1 - if
bugs have logic ... - and the installation was  practically completed.
By the way, I chose to install "All".

N.B. I am no FreeBSD guru; rather, I am a novice, and I even did NOT
look at the content of CD #1 and # 2 at the time of the trial - it was
just  (insane) "instant decision" (or trial).

And I do NOT know exactly what to think of the whole thing.

At any rate, maybe I have detected  a couple of minor bugs.

**************************************Problem I
I found no way to install the package "local". The installation process
copies all the OS packages (choice "All") except "local".  It goes
without saying that I have tried a post install configuration
(/stand/sysinstall ...), and I have tried all four CDs. Unfortunately,
the "local" package (=local additions) is not in any of the four CDs.
However, the system, on the whole, seems to work almost properly :-)

**************************************Problem II
I have been experiencing problems with the Gnome + Enlightenment
environment.
When starting X, I sometimes receive a "Gnome non compliant error"; the
mouse pointer shape is always a cross and does NOT change its form; the
X environment is always NOT functional, ie the mouse does NOT work
properly, right-clicking does NOT work etc.

If I launch the Gnome Control Center applet and if I change Windows
Managers (e.g. any other W.M. instead of Enlightenment), and then
I choose Enlightment again, the mouse pointer magically acquires its
normal "arrow" form, and everything seems to work properly since that
very moment.
If I log out ... alas, I have to repeat the process again, ie launching
Gnome Control Center, changing W.M.s etc.

A far as I can see, it is a problem of (non-proper) initialization of
Enlightenment, but I am a FreeBSDS novice and I know no fixing script or
workaround at the moment :-(

I would like to be able to seamlesly switch dekstop environments as in
Linux (e.g. options at login)  ... ;-)

Finally, if I do not ask too much, could you let me know whether this
"installation" of mine can reasonably be fixed ?

I thank you very much in advance for reading this unusual long letter,
and for any tip you will e-mail to me on this (minefield) subject.

Truly yours
Salvo Bartolotta (from Sicily)

--------------60B0D84DF588B64434EAFEDF

Dear FreeBSD staff,
problem in the ERRATA.txt for the 3.3. Release. Also, there's a great number
of mailing lists ... so I&nbsp;let you decide if and where to post the
information contained in this message.
from an IDE CD-ROM </b>in a curious way, and I&nbsp;wonder whether this
installation is somehow correct. However, I write so that&nbsp; you should
be able to reproduce the situation and publish the results (if worth publishing)
in the ERRATA.txt.
3 HDs (4 GB WDC AC24300L, 8 GB IBM DHEA 38451 and 16 GB IBM DTTA 351680),
a Mitsumi FX240S (ATAPI),&nbsp; a SCSI CDROM and a SCSI CD-writer (<b>not
boot from there, sigh ...)</b>, among others.
all.
and when the "last chance" dialog box appeared, <b>I reinserted CD # 1</b>
- if bugs have logic ... - and the <b>installation was&nbsp; practically
completed.</b>
did NOT look at the content of CD #1 and # 2 at the time of the trial -
it was just&nbsp; (insane) "instant decision" (or trial).
process copies all the OS packages (choice "All") <b>except&nbsp;"local"</b>.&nbsp;
It goes without saying that I&nbsp;have tried a post install configuration
(/stand/sysinstall ...), and I&nbsp;have tried all four CDs. Unfortunately,
the "local" package (=local additions) is not in any of the four CDs. However,
the system, on the whole, seems to work almost properly :-)
environment.
error"; the mouse pointer shape is <i>always</i> a cross and does NOT&nbsp;change
its form; the X environment is <i>always</i> NOT&nbsp;functional, ie the
mouse does NOT&nbsp;work properly, right-clicking does NOT&nbsp;work etc.
Managers (e.g. any other W.M. instead of Enlightenment), and then I&nbsp;choose
Enlightment again, the mouse pointer magically acquires its normal "arrow"
form, and everything seems to work properly <i>since that very moment.</i>
Gnome Control Center, changing W.M.s etc.<i></i>
of Enlightenment, but I&nbsp;am a FreeBSDS novice and I&nbsp;know no fixing
script or workaround at the moment :-(
in Linux (e.g. options at login)&nbsp; ... ;-)