Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 1997 21:13:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, craig@ProGroup.COM, Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Subject:   Re: Partitioning suggestions?

On 20-Nov-97 Tom wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Terry Lambert wrote:
>
>> >   I can't accept that idea of a "graceful" failure.  I don't know
>> >   if there
>> > are any "catastrophic" (ie. eaten e-mail, destroyed password
>> > files, etc) failures in FreeBSD, due to full filesystems.  But the
>> > so-called graceful failures are the real essence of this thread.
>> > How do
>> > you avoid them in the first place?
>>
>> By not engaging in sysadm pilot error that results in filled drives.
>
>   In what universe is this?  Point me to a mail server that you use,
> and
> I will fill one or more filesystems for you.  Then when done, I will
> blame
> it on your pilot error.

>> >   What would be creating pid files in /var/log?
>>
>> In /var.
>
>   The original poster, said to make /var/log a separate filesystem.
> This goes along with my point, because it would eliminate the
> problem.

Moreover.  In ALL our production servers we have:

/var
/var/tmp
/var/spool
/var/account
/var/log
/var/qmail

And more.  We have to be careful.  Getting to some of our systems
resembles parts of Jurrasic Park.  We HATE crashed systems.  Rebooting
is rarely an option...

Simon

> Tom

If Microsoft Built Cars:

There would be an "Engine Pro" with bigger turbos, but it would be
slower on most existing roads.

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro
Shimon@Simon-Shapiro.ORG                      Voice:   503.799.2313