Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 2017 23:58:24 +0100
From:      Jeremie Le Hen <jlh@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: Can't boot on ZFS -- /boot/zfsloader not found

(Sorry I had to copy-paste this email from the archives to a new
thread, because I'm not subscribed to -stable@. Would you mind cc:ing
me next time please?)

> As your not at the boot loader stage yet for keyboard enabling legacy
> USB keyboard / mouse support in BIOS may help.

That worked, thanks for the tip.

> If you see issues with keyboard after the kernel takes over setting
> hint.ehci.0.disabled=1 may help.
>
> If your installing 11.x then the guides boot partition size is out of
> date and you should use 512K for your freebsd-boot partition.

Oh, really?  I'll update it once I'll have figure it all out.  That's
weird though because /boot/gptzfsboot is less than 90 KB.

> For the GPT version (I've never used MBR one) what actual error do you get?

When I just start up the NUC, I get:
"""
\Can't find /boot/zfsloader

FreeBSD/x86 boot
Default: zroot:/boot/kernel/kernel
boot:
\
Can't find /boot/kernel/kernel
"""

I though it was the first stage boot loader, but it may be the second stage.

-jlh