Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 11:17:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Joss Roots <osiris2002@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD & Other OSs-Compatibility

> > > Hi there;
> > > Is there a document on how to test the
> > FreeBSD
> > > compatibility layer for other operating
> > systems ?
> > >
> > > I know that FreeBSD has the power to run;
> > >
> > > 1. dos programs
> > > 2. windows programs
> > > 3. BSDi programs
> > > 4. Linux Programs
> > >
> > > but can it run other OSs binaries, like
> > > SunOS, MacOs, BeOS, HPunix, NetBSD, etc....
> >
> > It can run SunOS 5 (Solaris) on Intel (ELF),
> > NetBSD and SCO (COFF)
> > executables.
>
> OK, lets say is there at least a "Complete" :-)
> list of which OSs, and their versions ?
> From your answer, I can see you got my point
> (as usual).
>

> > > I want some FreeBSD guru to point us to:
> > >
> > > EXACT, and ACURATE way to:
> > > 1. know which version of which OS we can
> run
> > bins
> > > from
> > > 2. where to grab (at least) a single bin
> for
> > > each.
> > > 3. FreeBSD Kernel configuration needed
> > > 4. locations of supposed bin, lib, etc on
> the
> > > FreeBSD machine to make things run smooth.
> > > 4. permissions that don't break any
> security
> > > things,  or crash anything.
> > > 5. Any other OSs that FreeBSD is planning,
> > > or currently developing or considering.
> >
> > This is probably the wrong thing to ask.
> > Pointers you'll get.  EXACT,
> > AC(C)URATE ways are things you can help
> define.
> VERY nice Gotcha grog, sorry for the
> "INAC(C)URACY", if this proves anythiing,
> it would that you can never be sure you're
> 100% bug-free :-)
>

> > There's stuff about this in the handbook, and
> > also in "The Complete
> > FreeBSD".  There could be more in the
> handbook;
> > how about helping?
> I'll dig into that and see how this conforms
> with
> my original suggestion.  I have great trust in
> Handbook, and "The Complete FreeBSD", after all
> it is written by the "The" Greg Lehey.
>
> I would very much like to help, at last
> I would have the honour to adding "anything" to
> the wonderful "unexplored" world of FreeBSD.

My reply to you was rejected, apparently
you have banned yahoo.com from your accepted
mail hosts, ok, but not all of us are spammers
you know, to prove it, search in the archives
for "Damn you All Spammers", you would see how
much we got blood thirsty, one day, but now,
we are much calmer, reminded me of that fellow
who just made "FreeBSD" logo into "FreeLSD"
what a shame !

=====
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU.