Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 09:51:40 -0400
From:      Jim Freeze <jfreeze@freebsdportal.com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: Vim is colorless in KDE Konsole

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 01:40:53PM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> Vim decides if colours should be used or not depending on the terminal
> type.  What is your TERM environment variable set to?  Try setting it
> to something that supports colours, like `ansi' or `xterm-color'.

This is wierd. Here is my setup. I am locally at a sun station
and I ssh into a remote 4.4R box.

-----------
On local machine using local vim
% vim -version
VIM - Vi IMproved 5.8 (2001 May 31, compiled Aug 30 2001 16:58:08)
% echo $TERM
dtterm
When I run vim I don't get color, just underlines and bold.
When trying vim -T term_type, only builtin_xterm has any
font highlighting and it gives the same colorless underlines and bold
font as above.

-----------
On local machine using remote vim via ssh
% vim -version
VIM - Vi IMproved 6.0ax BETA (2001 Sep 19, compiled Sep 30 2001 12:28:33)
% echo $TERM
dtterm
When running vim I get nice colors.

-----------
On remote machine using local local vim within kde
% vim -version
VIM - Vi IMproved 6.0ax BETA (2001 Sep 19, compiled Sep 30 2001 12:28:33)
% echo $TERM
dtterm
When running, don't get color, just underlines and bold.

This does not make sense to me. There must be some type
of tranformation taking place via the remote session.
Else, why would colors work in an ssh session and not
locally?

Any ideas? Anyone?

Thanks

--