Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 2004 12:57:19 -0700
From:      John Kennedy <jk@jk.homeunix.net>
To:        Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: supporting broadcom gig BCM5751

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 01:58:31PM -0400, Peter Radcliffe wrote:
> I'm trying to install a new dell machine at work but it's coming up
> with an unknown internal gig ether card and it's stupidly fussy about
> PCI cards (won't boot with random cards in it).
>
> The device is; 0x14e4 0x1677 which some searching tells me is a
> broadcom BCM5751 gig ether card.

  I have a few Dell 2650s at work and I had to load FreeBSD 5.2.1 (vs.
4.x-STABLE, which at the time was 4.9).  They've all been up to long so I
don't have any handy dmesg output to compare to yours.

  pciconf gives me this, which may be of some help:

	bge0@pci3:6:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x01211028 chip=0x16a714e4 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
	    vendor   = 'Broadcom Corporation'
	    device   = 'BCM5703X NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet'
	    class    = network
	    subclass = ethernet

  The "chip" field is close to yours, but not an exact match.