Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:29:20 -0500
From:      James Higgins <higginsj@iname.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        snake@hawking.smartcom.net
Subject:   TNT Support for XFree86 - server now available

Since there has been questions about this server on this list lately here
is the info from NVidia.

This was taken from the posting on dimension128.smartcom.net, I am just
forwarding it to potentially interested parties:

// -- Begin Copy --

This is the 10/16/98 source patch for the SVGA server with support for all
NVIDIA
cards (but no others), applied and compiled for FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELEASE (but I
think it should work on 2.2.x--try it out and let me know...)

You should simply have to replace the existing /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA with
this one, and then make the appropriate changes to your XF86Config file.  The
easiest way to do this is probably to use one of the configuration
programs, but if
you want to modify it directly, go right ahead.

There are some issues with switching modes.  It seems to work fine if you only
leave one color depth available (comment out the others) but I've heard
that if
you just comment out the 8-bit display subsection in the XF86Config  file
then it
should also be okay (i.e. leave the 16 and 32-bit sections uncommented).
There
appears to be something funny happening at 32-bit color depth, as the refresh
rates are going a bit wierd.  I haven't had time to make a full
investigation--please let me or Dave Schmenk at NVIDIA know of your results at
high resolution and/or 32-bit color.

This binary is based on the patch code from Dave Schmenk at NVIDIA--many
thanks to him for sending it to me and answering my questions.

Once newer source becomes available, I will try to make it available as a
binary
also.

// -- End Copy --

http://dimension128.smartcom.net/files/XF86_FREEBSD.gz is one possible