Date:      Wed, 9 Jul 2008 11:23:40 -0700
From:      Chris Palmer <chris@noncombatant.org>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BIND update?

Okay everybody, take a step back, take a deep breath, and count to ten. :)

DNS has never provided any security guarantees, and so a marginal increase
or decrease in the difficulty of spoofing responses is not a huge issue in
the grand scheme of things. Even if the 16 bits were somehow pure delicious
entropy, it would still only be 16 bits.

If you want to provide DNS service yet minimize the risk to the server, BIND
should never have been your first choice. It has a rough history, and there
are more secure alternatives. Some people like BIND anyway. Cool. They
accept that risk.

DNSSEC is not widely deployed; and if it were, would that matter? Would you
securely resolve important.example.com, only to talk to that host via HTTP?
HTTP, like DNS, has never provided any security guarantees. It's not clear
that, given correct authentication of important.example.com via X509 cert
and a trusted third party (or by careful examination of the known-good
fingerprint), "secure" DNS would provide any additional server
authentication.

Granted, I say "given correct authentication of important.example.com via
X509 cert" as if that were easy. ;) In any case, that is all we have in the
real world today. See also: SSH host keys.

So I'm not too worried about the lack of urgency from the FreeBSD security
team on this particular issue. It's not news that DNS is insecure and that
BIND has a bug. Nobody should have been depending on the security of DNS or
on a bulletproof BIND.