Date:      Mon, 31 May 2010 19:47:14 +0200
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        Giulio Ferro <auryn@zirakzigil.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PF + BRIDGE still causes system freezing

On Monday 31 May 2010 08:03:09 Giulio Ferro wrote:
> Max Laier wrote:
> > On Friday 28 May 2010 07:46:07 Giulio Ferro wrote:
> >> Months ago I reported a system freezing whenever bridge was used
> >> with pf. This still happens now in 8.1 prerelease: after several minutes
> >> to hours
> >> that the bridge is active the system becomes unresponsive.
> >
> > as I told you last time your reported this problem: you need to simplify
> > your setup in order to track down the problem.  For all I know, you have
> > created a routing or ethernet loop that is the cause of your problems.
> > Unless you can provide a simple setup that can be reproduced, you have
> > to track down the issue yourself - sorry.
> >
> > Max
>
> Ok, I've moved the vpn-bridging service to a server without pf, and now
> it seems to work correctly.

Glad to hear.  I would, however, still like to know the *details* of your
setup so I can *reproduce* the problem.  Without proper configuration details,
all I - or anyone - can do is guess.  The information you provided so far is
not very helpful in this regard.

> I maintain that this issue would need to look into, anyway...

Yes ... but unless the issue can be reproduced in a controlled environment,
it's next to impossible to do so.

> I don't think that a system freezing is acceptable, even when the
> administrator
> makes some configuration mistakes: the o.s. should complain about
> "routing or ethernet loop", without leaving him wondering...

I'm afraid in this regard we (or any other o.s. for that matter) are just rope
vendors.  Network configuration is complicated business.  The more components
you throw in the mix, the easier it gets to hang yourself in the ensuing web.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but again: without details about your setup,
everything is just guesswork!

Max