Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 17:04:16 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        scott@lackluster.net
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: REM56G-100??

In message <Pine.NEB.4.05.10009191537060.20551-100000@tempe.lackluster.net> scott@lackluster.net writes:
: > Combo cards generally aren't supported.  They generally work for one
: > of their functions.  The xe driver is a bit of an exception because it
: > tries to support both sides of the house.
: >
:
: so are you saying it is possible to use the RJ45 port?

I think that it depends on the card that's being used.  I don't know
the xe driver well enough to know if its attempts to enable both sides
of the house is successful or not.

: hmm, I just looked and I see a bunch for under $100..some don't specify
: the model but they look exactly like mine.

You have the REM56G-100?  There's lots of different models.  To me
"cheap" is under $30.00 :-).  I have only a little bit of money that I
can spend on acquiring these cards so have been trying like heck to
get all cards < $30.  I've found a few 3com ones cheap because they
don't have all the dongles.  They were for models that I knew my other
dongles would work for...

Of course I've just finished getting the 3com/megahertz cards.  I have
some NE2000 ones, but have started looking for more.  I'll also be
looking for fujitsu cards and xircom cards next.  It takes a while to
discover what cards are key to getting good coverage.  It also takes
time to find a good deal.  There's a lot of overpriced folks selling
pulls for more than the other auctions are getting.

Warner