Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2007 03:15:28 -0500
From:      CyberLeo Kitsana <cyberleo@cyberleo.net>
To:        dhaneshk k <dhaneshkk@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BitTorrent configuration in FreeBSD-6.2 -for Large file downloads &uploads

dhaneshk k wrote:
> But how I can use Bittorrent to serve these big files to the remote
> users of my website (so that I can save a lot of bandwidth of  my network connection )
>
> The Bittorent is installed in this box was(  py24-BitTorrent-4.20.2_1,1 )  . I have the ISO images , but how can I put these ISO's to be served via  Bittorrent & how others can accesss these iso's from my webserver through bittorrent

To serve torrents, you need a tracker, and you need clients to seed.
Fortunately, your server can work as both.

On the subject of trackers:

There are quite a few PHP trackers around, though the one I use is
Torrent Trader Lite. (http://www.torrenttrader.com/) This is a
lightweight tracker that stores all its information in flatfiles, so no
rdbms is necessary. This should be placed on a publicly accessible URL,
so that the people who wish to download via bittorrent can use it.

You may also consider creating and uploading torrents to a popular
public tracker, such as The Pirate Bay, to boost exposure and reduce the
amount of software you must deal with. I would suggest avoiding
registration-required trackers if you're hoping for impulse downloads,
though, as mandatory registration can be a bit of a turnoff for a lot of
people.

On the subject of clients:

There are a myriad of bittorrent clients in existence, but most of them
require some form of graphical interface. You've found one of the best
for console downloading, but it still can't be run in the background
(ignoring for the moment running things in screen). The software I use
for downloading torrents is TorrentFlux (http://www.torrentflux.com/).
It is a PHP webapp frontend to BitTornado (a fork of BitTorrent)
designed to run the torrents in the background, while providing a pretty
interface for controlling them. As this will act as your seed, this
should be kept private and password-protected.

Best of all, both of these solutions can be run through your current
webserver infrastructure, via virtual hosts or simple subdirectories.

After getting your tracker and client set up, you can use TorrentFlux to
create a .torrent file for your chosen ISO or group of ISOs, specify
your tracker's announce URL, register the .torrent file with your
tracker (if necessary) and start seeding, and your bittorrent-savvy
visitors can torrent to their heart's content.

A big notice, though: BitTorrent won't initially save bandwidth,
especially if your server is the only seeder, and may actually be much
slower if the files aren't very popular, as there won't be as many other
visitors to help distribute chunks of the files.

I hope this helps!

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo