Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 2003 22:44:21 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <kalts@estpak.ee>
To:        Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCHED_ULE ok again.  feedback please?

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 01:25:24AM -0500, Jeff Roberson
<jroberson@chesapeake.net> wrote:

> I'm using SCHED_ULE on my laptop now.  My recent round of fixes seems to
> have helped out.  I'm getting good interactive performance.  I'm doing the
> following:
>
> nice -5'd for (;;) {} process.
> make -j4 buildworld
>
> Mozilla, pine, irc, screen, vi, etc.
>
> All interactive tasks are very responsive.  My nice -5'd looping process
> is getting 70% of the cpu and my compile is taking the rest.  nice +20 may
> not behave as well as in sched_4bsd right now.  I'm going to work on that.
>
> This is on a 2ghz laptop though so your mileage may vary.  Use reports are
> welcome.

Much improved, can work while two seti@home processes run at nice
19. Still takes more time to show directory listing (ls -la) compared
to scheduler and the listing itself is a bit "jumpy". Scrolls about
20 lines, then waits for a moment, then scrolls forward again and so
on. The stopping moments are actually very short, but noticeable.
This is while the seti's are running, 2CPU PIII-500.
--

Vallo Kallaste