Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 12:13:18 +0000
From:      Andrew Stothard <andys@telinco.net>
To:        Keith Woodworth <kwoody@citytel.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        kwoody@citytel.net
Subject:   Re: 2.1.7 FreeBSD

On Friday 09 November 2001 8:53 pm, Keith Woodworth wrote:
> Folks...weve had a 2.1.7 machine colo'd here for a few years (3 days shy
> of 500 days of uptime) and most of that time it has not had a
> monitor/keyboard plugged into it. (just ssh in all the time)

One thing you could try to get local access without rebooting would be to
change /etc/ttys so there was a getty attached to one of the serial ports. On
4.x and 3.x you would edit the line for ttyd0 and change the "off" to "on"
(I'm not sure if it would work on 2.1.7) and then run "init q". Then you
could just plug a terminal into the right serial port.

While it doesn't solve the keyboard problem this would give you local access
to the server to change it's IP address without requiring a reboot.