Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 1998 14:25:38 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        Wayne G Boyd <wayne@jcegroup.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail question

On Thu, Jun 04, 1998 at 10:29:04AM +0000, Wayne G Boyd wrote:
> I am trying to get sendmail on a freeBSD box, to deliver mail for a
> client who is dialled in on a PPP link. My problem is that at the time
> the client is sending the mail, the freeBSD box's only modem is being
> used of the dialin, thus it can's dial the internet to do any DNS
> stuff, or to talk SMTP to our ISP.
>
> The result is that sendmail hangs for too long, and the mail client
> on the other end of the ppp link times out.
>
> How can I get sendmail to queue all mail, and only try to do
> dnslookups when it is servicing the queue, not when it is accepting
> the message ?

This is exactly what the ``deferred'' delivery mode for.
You can do it in several ways:

1. If you're configuring your sendmail by mean of m4, then add the
   following line to your .mc file:

   define(`confDELIVERY_MODE', `deferred')

2. If you're configuring your sendmail by just editing the /etc/sendmail.cf
   then add the following to it:
   O DeliveryMode=deferred

In both cases, edit your /etc/rc.conf script, find ``sendmail_flags'' option
and set the queue process interval to the desired value (option -q).

> Is there anywhere on the net with easy to read info about sendmail
> configuration ?

Sure!

1. cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/doc (susbin collection must be installed)
2. lynx http://www.sendmail.org/ (lynx from the Ports collection is required)

> Thanks for your help,

You're welcome!

Regards,
--
Ruslan Ermilov          System Administrator
ru@ucb.crimea.ua        United Commercial Bank