Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 15:00:02 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: 3.x -> 4.0-STABLE upgrade instructions

On 3/16/00, 2:52:36 AM, Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu> wrote=20
regarding Re: HEADS UP: 3.x -> 4.0-STABLE upgrade instructions:

> Warner Losh wrote:
> >
> > In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0003151354390.1980-100000@dt051n0b.san.rr.=
com>=20
Doug Barton writes:
> > :       You can find instructions at
> > : http://freebsd.simplenet.com/make-upgrade.html. I am planning to=20
update
> > : that file for 3.4 -> 4.0 asap BTW.
> >
> > Let me know if the following doesn't work:
> >         To update from 3.x to 4.0 stable
> >         --------------------------------
> >         cd /usr/src
> >         make buildworld
> >         cd sbin/mknod
> >         make install
> >         <follow directions to build/install a kernel>
> >         <follow rebuild disk /dev entries above>        [*]
> >         reboot
> >         <in single user>
> >         cd /usr/src
> >         make -DNOINFO installworld
> >         make installworld
> >
> >         [*] You may need to switch from wd to ad ala 19991210
> >
> >         To build a kernel
> >         -----------------
> >         Update config, genassym and go:
> >                 cd src/usr.bin/genassym
> >                 make depend all install
> >                 cd ../../usr.sbin/config
> >                 make depend all install
> >                 cd ../../sys/i386/conf
> >                 config YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
> >                 cd ../../compile/YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
> >                 make depend && make
> >                 make install
> >
> >         To rebuild disk /dev entries
> >         ----------------------------
> >
> >         MAKEDEV should be copied from src/etc/MAKEDEV to /dev before=

> >         starting the following:
> >
> >                 For N in the list of disks
> >                         MAKEDEV N                       # eg ad0
> >                         for M in the list of slices
> >                                 MAKEDEV NsMa            # eg ad0s1a

> How to go about switching over from wd to ad needs to be explained a=20
little
> better. After doing the MAKEDEV routine I went and changed all the=20
wd's in my
> fstab to ad's. Boy was that a mistake. Now I have to find somthing I=20
can boot
> with that will let me mount the root partition read/write so that I=20
can change
> fstab back. On top of that my cdrom suddenly decided to non-bootable. =

Maybe I'm
> just having a bad day...

> -Brandon

Dear Brandon Fosdick,

the (almost complete) updating procedure lies before you [was: Nature=20
;-)]. I am afraid the difficulties do NOT consist in making the=20
devices nodes and the related slice entries. The following questions=20
arise spontaneously.=20

Q0) Have you been reading the -CURRENT mailing list archives for a=20
while? In particular, have you read the letters posted in the last few=20
weeks ?

Q1) Did you exactly do as described in the procedure ? That is, if=20
your disk is ,say, wd0, did you make an ad0 device node ? Did you make=20
the *slice* entries, in our example ad0s1a (which makes ados1a through=20
ad0s1h), as indicated there ? Did you update your /etc/fstab=20
accordingly ? Did you substitute ad* for wd* in all your configuration=20
files ?

Q2) Have you read the very recent letters on the updating procedure=20
(as of yesterday and today) ?

Q3) Have you appropriately used the -k (ie force) option when making=20
installworld ?  =20

Mind you, I missed the "cleaning" issue (you should not use the clean=20
target in genassym etc. when making your first 4.0 kernel.)=20

However, I succeeded in upgrading (though not all components were=20
actually built). I did not care. Rather, I made the world again and=20
checked my install logs (and they looked ok): now my 4.0-CURRENT (or=20
should I say 4-STABLE ;-) seems to work like charm. At least, so far=20

Good luck
Salvo