Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 2004 11:36:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      samy lancher <washville2003@yahoo.com>
To:        Barbish3@adelphia.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: ata1: resetting devices ...

These are the messages from "dmesg"

ad0: 76345MB <MAXTOR 6L080J4> [155114/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA66
ad2: DMA limited to UDMA33, non-ATA66 cable or device
ad2: 38166MB <ST340810A> [77545/16/63] at ata1-master UDMA33
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
ad2: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
ata1: resetting devices .. ad2: DMA limited to UDMA33, non-ATA66
cable or device

Thanks,
Naveen.

JJB <Barbish3@adelphia.net> wrote:
These means that you have a mismatch between the devices and the
ribbon connecting them to your motherboard. Most common cause is a
UDMA66 hard drive plugged into the master connector on the ribbon
and a UDMA33 CDROM. The messages is telling you the IDE hard drive
controller is defaulting the ribbon read/write speed to the slower
speed of the CDROM.

Now this is not harmful to your hardware, but does deny your server
the ability to utilize the full speed potential of your hard drive.

This is easily fixed by moving the CDROM drive from the slave
connector on the primary IDE controller to the master commenter on
the secondary IDE controller on your motherboard.

This also can occur if you have two hard drives on the primary IDE
controller of different speeds.