Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2001 10:14:07 -0400
From:      "Jonathan Slivko" <js43064n@pace.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
Subject:   Re: Best way to fix a Bad Mistake

Yes, there is. cd in to that directory where the port is and then
do a make clean and then a make distclean. That should remove the
port from your system, and should leave nothing left. Then, all
you have to do is just try installing the package. HTH,
-- Jonathan

Jonathan M. Slivko <js43064n@pace.edu>
Technical Support, Black Lotus Communications
web: http://www.jmslivko.org/ (personal)
web: http://www.blacklotus.net/ (work)

From: Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:01:40 -0500

>	I started to install expect-5.3x from
>/usr/ports/lang/expect and got to the following fatal discovery:
>
>===>  Configuring for expect-5.32.1
>configuring Expect 5.32.1
>checking for autoconf... yes
>checking configure up to date... yes
>checking host system type... i386--freebsd4.3
>checking target system type... i386--freebsd4.3
>checking build system type... i386--freebsd4.3
>checking shell to use within Make...
>checking for gcc... cc
>checking whether the C compiler (cc -O -pipe  ) works... yes
>checking whether the C compiler (cc -O -pipe  ) is a

cross-compiler... no
>checking whether we are using GNU C... yes
>checking whether cc accepts -g... yes
>checking for building with threads... no (default)
>checking for Tcl configuration... found

/usr/local/lib/tcl8.3/tclConfig.sh
>checking Tcl build library...

-L/usr/ports/lang/tcl83/work/tcl8.3.3/unix -ltcl83   -lm
>checking for Tcl_CreateCommand... yes
>checking if Tcl library build specification is valid... yes
>checking for Tk configuration... configure: error:
>/usr/local/lib/tk8.3 directory doesn't contain tkConfig.sh
>===>  Script "configure" failed: here are the contents of

"config.log"

>	This is a new system that was begun using one of the
>freebsd image CDROM's for freebsd-4.3.  Someone hit the wrong
>button when we started the system build and we sucked in a ton of
>things we didn't want such as X windows support and support for a
>number of languages we don't use here.
>
>	Then, the system crashed some time during the install so
>some tasks did not complete.  We seem to have a working base
>system as I have been able to install lots of packages and they
>work.
>
>	Is there a good way to repair what is broken without
>starting from scratch and rebuilding the system from the ground
>up?
>
>	This is my first freebsd installation and I am quite
>impressed with how it all works, but I figure what I will learn
>from this mistake will be helpful on the next freebsd system.  Of
>course, it would have been much better if we had ended up with
>the base system and no X or non-English language support.
>

>Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
>OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Data

Communications Group

____
Sent via the Pace University Mail system at stmail.pace.edu