Date:      Sat, 2 Feb 2002 15:34:15 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        nmcgann@neilmcgann.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.5-Release kernel locking hard after 30 minutes

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Neil McGann wrote:

> I tried to upgrade from 4.4-R to 4.5-R via CVSUP. Kernel compiled and
> installed fine (as generic, but includes ipfilter and stripped down to
> eliminate unnecessary devices). I started doing a buildworld, but after 30
> mins of heavy compiling the machine locked solid - a hard reset required to
> recover. Never seen this before.
>
> I booted back to 4.4R Kernel and all is well again. PC is Asus Cuple-VM
> mobo (82C686B southbridge), 256Mb, integrated graphics, 60Gb IBM HD, 400MHz
> celeron, 2xFA311 NIC. Uptime is weeks with 4.4R under heavy usage (only
> tweaking the kernel has required a reboot).
>
> Suggestions of how to attack the 4.5 lockup problem?
>
> Neil

Dear Neil.

I have had a similar problem very early after 4.4-RELEASE was out and
we updated via cvsupdate to 4.4-STABLE, moving onwards in code to 4.5.
The target was one of our SMP servers, after I put a second NIC into
the machine and upgraded the firmware of the AMI Enterprise RAID controller.

First the machine worked a while, booted normaly, then it froze completely
and only a reset brought the system back to life.

The problem occured every time I used both NICs or the new one, attached to
a PCI slot (the other NIC was a built in NIC of the TYAN 2500 mobo).

Well, long story, short result: it seems to me like a IRQ sharing problem.
I permutated all the PCI cards, moved the RAID controller to it 64Bit/66
slot and attached the NIC to another slot to avoid IRQ sharing problems,
and: voila! all problems have gone!

You should apply the newest BIOS for your mobo, the newest BIOS for your
graphics adaptor and maybe the newest BIOS for your NICs (we use Intel
EtherExpress NICs around here and their firmware is at level '22' at this
moment ...).

Hope this helps ...

Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)