Date:      Mon, 05 Jul 1999 12:59:45 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.Org>
Cc:        mtaylor@cybernet.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, Mark Wilcox <mewilcox@unt.edu>
Subject:   Re: LDAPed FreeBSD

Again,  I think it is appropiate to use LDAP for configuring
network services such as DHCPD , DNS , PPP,  etc and to
a limited extend sendmail -- see sendmail's modification to
support user's delivery address :
   http://www.stanford.edu/~bbense/Inst.html and actually

We  can ask the Standford team about some of the problems mentioned
on this list to see what they think about it ;specially, if their LDAP service
is deployed ...

True LDAP (v2 or v3) does not provide record locking . Now the question is
does Novell's NDS 8 -- a native LDAP v3 -- , Oracle's Directory
Server or Microsoft Active Directory does if they do then how ?

Mantaining state information such as DNS is not a good idea as
Kurt has stated .

Again my emphasis is on configuring network services or other system services
if appropiate and to provide a HTML interface which is sufficiently rich to be
user friendly.

My little test bed project is coming along fine . My servlet which implements
my dummy html interfface, http://www.star-gate.com/dhcpd.html,  is fully
operational
and it was not hard to wirite whats left is to provide error checking
and cross data validation .  The mods to dhcpd to support ldap are
already in place.

Searching the LDAP database  for existing DHCPD entries is also fairly
straight forward and I
do have a servlet to locate dhcpd servers which accepts regular expressions
as suppported by LDAP --- search : www* will locate all the dhcdp servers
starting with www 8)

	Regards

--

 Amancio Hasty