Date:      29 Aug 95 04:49:51 EDT
From:      Evan Polster <71544.1006@compuserve.com>
To:        FreeBSD <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Mouse driver not found ...

Hello.

 Situation:

	I am attempting to run startx from a dumb (getty?) terminal. It fails
when attempting
	to locate the mouse file /dev/mouse.

 What happened during install:

	During the initial install (from DOS) I attempted to install some 3rd pty
products
	and crashed due to a memory problem. So I tried to return to the post
install
 	customization process via DOS with no luck (appears I would actually have
	reinstall to get back to the point where I was in post-install).. So I
ran the xconfig 					program (xf86config or
somesuch?) from FreeBSD. Seemed to run fine but I don't
think certain device drivers ever got loaded properly because of my initial
INSTALL
	(packages) failure.

	I attempted to run the command:

		sh MAKEDEV mouse

	from /dev with no luck.

	My mouse is serial through COM1: so I ran:

		dmesg | grep sio

	and it showed me the COM1 port. I couldn't cat to the terminal from this
	port though because:

		cat < /dev/sio0

	command told me that  /dev/sio0 didn't exist (which I already knew from
ls).

	Neither did /dev/tty00.

	How do I install the proper Microsoft 2-button serial mouse driver?

	My /etc/XF86Config file contains "Microsoft" and "/dev/mouse" for the
	pointer protocol.

	As you can probably tell I am very new to this as all my attempts
	have been guided by reading the ../X11/doc stuff or man pages.

	Any help will be much appreciated.

Evan Polster
CompuServe: 71544,1006

P.S. As you probably already know, I have modified my /etc/ttys file to redefine
ttyv3
       to run <X bin area>/xdm -nodaemon xterm.