Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 2002 14:13:15 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Daemon <daemon@ircee.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: recovering ufs after fat games

> Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 21:34:23 -0400
> From: Daemon <daemon@ircee.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
>   I'm having the same problem ... followed the instructions at
>   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/install.html#WIN95-DAMAGED-BOOT-MANAGER
>   and did "Fixit# fdisk -B -b /boot/boot0 ad0" from the 4.6 CD "live
>   filesystem".  Now on reboot I get
> F3 = DOS
> F4 = FREEBSD
>
>   If I choose "F4" I get nothing but a beep.  If I choose "F3" it
>   boots into windows.  Any suggestions?

Is this a big disk? If the FreeBSD partition starts at a cylinder >
1023, this is what you  will see.

If this is the case, try:
boot0cfg -o packet -B ad0 (or whatever your boot disk is).

This is a sticky problem as older systems will not work with the
packet option and CHS boot access on large disks will fail if the boot
partition is too far into the disk. Unless your hardware is quite old,
packet should work fine. (Of course, you may want added options like
-m, but that's up to you.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)