Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 10:19:23 -0700
From:      Jason F Wells <jason+freebsd@routermonkey.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Keyboard detection in 4.2-RELEASE, 4.2-STABLE

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 05:08:10PM +0000, Greg MATTHEWS wrote:
> would i be right in assuming that freebsd works like other unixen
> (sunos/solaris in my exp) in that booting without k/b forces the i/o through
> the console (serial) port. therefore plugging a kb in has no effect.

I don't think this is the case, as the console output still goes to the
monitor. I've also played with the settings in /boot.conf (using -D as the
flag) to force console to always go to screen / keyboard.

As I said before; it used to work, until 4.2; I'm just looking for
what has changed, and if there's any way to set it back.

> i second what matt said too.

I'm aware of the risks of hot-plugging; I've had very few problems
considering the number of servers I've worked on. I've had far worse
luck with serial cables than keyboards.