Date:      Sun, 25 Mar 2001 10:11:14 -0800
From:      "Kulraj Gurm (bosa.ca account)" <kulraj@bosa.ca>
To:        <uid0@catastrophe.net>, <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Don't you hate it when ISPs go out of business?

Most motherboards these days will give you the choice in BIOS to disable
keyboard seek at boot. Just get confirmation of this before you buy. Having
a monitor attached to boot is never necessary.

You have several choices, depending on,  if you plan to (or are being forced
to) use a 2U rack mount chassis - some ISP's demand it.

AMD is my preferred solution, here are some makeworld 4.2-Stable times  (in
house test) :
Duron 700    - 66min
Pentium III 700 - 65min
Athlon Enhanced 700 - 55min

I find this interesting and not because the Athlon blows away the PIII, but
because the Duron came so close! Duron is dirt cheap and Athlon is still
cheaper than PIII with way higher performance.

If you have to use a rackmount 2U or below, then use these motherboards :
1.    Any Intel 815 chipset - stable board for PIII and has onboard video,
since 2U's have PCI riser cards the onboard VGA is a god send.
2.    Via KM133 chipset based motherboard, Microstar makes one that I like
but there must be many others - again it has onboard video.

If your ISP is making no chassis demands, ie you can use a 4U or a
conventional case, then although the above are still valid choices, a whole
spectrum is open to you. I use a Gigabyte 7ZX Rev 5 with an Athlon 800. We
sell this board for Can$179 so you should be able to pick it up for under
US$120 from you local mom'n pop shop. Slap in a Duron 800 and you have a
good cheap solution.

Hope this helps!

Kulraj Gurm
www.microbiz.net