Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2019 19:51:11 +0100
From:      Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
To:        Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Trouble booting from EFI with 12-stable

> Am 11.01.2019 um 19:35 schrieb Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>:
>=20
>> Am 11.01.2019 um 15:04 schrieb Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>:
>>=20
>> On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 5:05 AM Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de> wrote:
>>>=20
>>> The loader stumbles over this error and then drops to the prompt:
>>> efi-autoresizecons not found
>>>=20
>>> module_path is then not set, and loader can=E2=80=99t load the =
kernel. Typing in everything by hand will boot the system OK.
>>>=20
>>> I just did a regular make installworld installkernel (previous =
install was from mid-december). Do I need to update the boot blocks or =
the EFI partition?
>>>=20
>>=20
>> Hi,
>>=20
>> Interesting; this is generally an indicator that your loader
>> (/boot/loader.efi in 12.0 EFI-land) is out-of-date with respect to
>> scripts. For that I'd go ahead and double-check that /boot/loader.efi
>> was actually updated *and* update the contents of the ESP -- that
>> particular change was paired with another one that stopped doing any
>> resizing in boot1.
>=20
> I thought as much. Is there a succinct step-by-step to install/update =
everything involved in the UEFI boot process? The Handbook appears to =
have very little on UEFI booting=E2=80=A6

The UEFI man page has a good explanation of which files are involved in =
booting:
=
https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=3Duefi&sektion=3D8&manpath=3Dfre=
ebsd-release-ports

I mounted the ESP and copied /boot/boot1.efi to =
/boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI. Surprisingly, the new boot1.efi is much =
smaller than what I had before (according to the timestamp from =
November), but using that, booting seems to be restored.

# grep efi /etc/fstab
/dev/ada0p2		/boot/efi	msdos	rw,noauto	0	=
0
# mount /boot/efi
# ls -l /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI =
/boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/bak/BOOTX64.EFI=20
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   81920 Jan 11 18:43 =
/boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  410112 Nov 25 16:27 =
/boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/bak/BOOTX64.EFI*

Thanks,
Stefan

--=20