Date:      21 Feb 2001 10:52:38 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot up execution order - error in man pages?

falbu@amnesty.org writes:

> I was trying to configure the system-wide path, so that it will
> contain /usr/local/bin. I have a script which is launched in
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d and it needed that path.

This is probably not the best approach.  Just have your script specify
the complete path; it's not important for security as it is in
interactive use, but it's still a good habit.

> According to the manual (FreeBSD 4.1) :
> "The rc.d directories contain scripts which will be automatically executed
> at boot time.  The specified directories are processed immediately after
> rc.local is executed.  (See below for details on how to specify directo­
> ries to check.) "
>
> It seems to me that this is not true.

It is true.  It is quite clear from looking at rc itself, where the
call to rc.local is only half a dozen lines before the check of the
$local_startup directories.

> At the point the script from the rc.d folder is launched, the content of
> the
> PATH variable is as specified in /etc/rc, even if I have added the right
> settings in /etc/rc.local.

rc.local does not do configuration; it is executed in a separate
shell, and none of its variables propagate back.

> Since it's recommended _not_ to modify /etc/rc, where should I alter the
> PATH variable to be effective at startup time (when launching /etc/rc.d)?

You shouldn't.  You could do it in rc.conf, but you'd really be much
better off not doing it at all.

Good luck.