Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 1997 17:38:28 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
Cc:        Keith Mitchell <kmitch@weenix.guru.org>, Kenneth Merry <ken@housing1.stucen.gatech.edu>, se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser), smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 3940UW and SMP

Hi,

>I see nothing confusing.  You need to backtrack to the first PPB, find its

this step of "backtrack"ing is unclear, could you expand?  remember that
during boot I dont have the benefit of the complete dmesg output
that we are analyzing here.  The PCI code calls me, it looks like:

	airq = get_pci_apic_irq (bus_no, device, pciint);
	if (airq != 0xff) {	/* APIC IRQ exists */
		rirq = irq;	/* 're-directed' IRQ */
		irq = airq;	/* use APIC IRQ */
	}

so for:

ahc1 <Adaptec 3940 Ultra SCSI host adapter> rev 0 int a irq 9 on pci1:5

I get:

	airq = get_pci_apic_irq (1, 5, 0);

which is going to map to NOTHING at that point in time.

---
>device number, map the device to the appropriate INT line, look up it's
>mapping in the MP table, and configure it.

this I understand, and could code once the above "backtrack" is understood.

> I was somewhat suprised to not see entires for INTB/C/D (are you not
>looking for them or are they not present?).

they are NOT present.  for a variety of MP tables check out:

http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/SMP.html/mptable/mptable.html

I placed the 2 systems we are discussing in there as #22 & #23

---
so previously the PCI code saw the bridge when it printed:

chip3 <DEC 21050 PCI-PCI bridge> rev 2 on pci0:18
Freeing (NOT implimented) irq 9 for ISA cards.
        bridge from pci0 to pci1 through 1.

the "Freeing" line is from my code and implies that the PCI code
registered an INT for the bridge, the MP table would have mapped pci0:18
to APIC irq 18.

so now the bridge is serviced via INT 18, so does this mean that the ahc1
ints go thru there?
does it even make sence to register an INT for a bridge, could this be part
of the problem?

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD