Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 2015 19:43:57 +0100
From:      "C. P. Ghost" <cpghost@cordula.ws>
To:        jd1008 <jd1008@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: [Semi-OT] SFF-8087 to eSata?

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 7:35 PM, jd1008 <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/26/2015 11:25 AM, C. P. Ghost wrote:
>
>> HBA which comes with 2 external SFF-8087 connectors
>> for 4 drives each (that's an Avago SAS HBA 9207-8e, which
>> supports up to 1024 HDDs according to specs).
>>
> I'm trying to understand your statement above.
> You say each external sff supports 4 drives, yet
> you say the HBA supports  1024 drives.
> So, where are all the rest of the ports of the HBA?

Hello,

I assume they mean 1024 with SATA expanders. AFAICS,
it's 4 drives per SFF-8087 connector, if it's directly connected
to 4 drives.

> I know of eSATA chipset that understands when it
> is connected (via a single connector) to a disk farm.
>
> Does you ssf port understand it is connected to a
> disk farm box? If yes, can you configure your hba
> to make it talk to a multi-disk  (i.e. more than 4 disks)
> farm via one of the ssf ports?

I'll have to try it as soon as I'm in front of that box (give
or take a few days). If the SFF port can talk to multidisk,
would a SFF-to-eSATA cable (if there's such a thing) do
the job? That's not an optimum setup for sure, but it's
for cold storage anyway. As long as all drives can be
accessed through the SFF port albeit slower than directly
attached, that's okay with me and the owner of that machine.

You've got to wonder what weird setups some people
come up with... *laughing*.

Thanks,
-cpghost.

--