Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 1999 18:50:45 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb-freebsd@gba.oz.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Dan Janowski <danj@3skel.com>, Joerg Micheel <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DDS-2/DDS-3 drives

Greg Lehey writes:

> I'm seriously wondering whether I can be bothered with helical scan
> tapes, though.  I've been using them for years, and they're the most
> unreliable part of the system by a long shot.

My helical scan tapes are *now* the most unreliable parts of the
systems I use, although I'd rate them as better than the QIC
tapes that I used previously (and which some of my customers
still use).  In comparison to stuff like disks, tapes just can't
compare -- and it's probably unrealistic to expect them to.

My own view is that tapes (of any kind) are unreliable but still
the only practical medium for off-site backups.  So, pick one
that suits your budget and size requirements, replace the media
at regular intervals, and check the integrity of the data on the
tapes.  One day, the hardware guys will come up with something
that is as useful as tape but which works as well as disks and
then, once the price comes down, we can all just change to it.

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>