Date:      Wed, 17 Aug 2011 11:15:54 -0500
From:      Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, ben@freebsd.org, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: sysutils/diskcheckd needs fixing and a maintainer

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 04:36:23PM +0200, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> Better to leave the port marked as having some run errors in some
> circumstances, that we dont have manpower for, but leave port in
> tree.

Then we have the situation of a user spends the time to install it only
to figure out it's obsolete, broken, junk.  This is not desirable.

> At least it compiles.  If removed, some people who look for such a
> tool might not know it exists & is already ported.

But doesn't work.  As for contacting:

> Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>

no longer involved with the project (since 2008).

> David W. Chapman Jr. (dwcjr@FreeBSD.org)

no longer involved with the project (since 2001).

While FreeBSD can't make the statement "all ports in our Ports Collection
are useful and secure", we can at least make the attempt to weed out
obviously obsolete and/or broken and/or abandoned ports, so that prospective
users of them don't waste their time.

That's what this whole deprecation and cleanup work is for: to get rid of
the bitrot.

mcl