Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 1999 18:57:28 -0500
From:      "Christopher J. Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
To:        "'robert'" <robert@mhi-tx.com>, "'freebsd list'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: ftp and symbolic links

I am assuming this is a problem with anonymous ftp access.  Since the
anonymous login is chroot(8)'d to /usr/ftp, the symbolic link won't work
when pointing to a directory outside of the /usr/ftp dir.  As far as the ftp
process is concerned /usr/ftp becomes it's root (/) directory and anything
not directly under /usr/ftp doesn't exist

If someone else knows a way around this, hopefully they will let you know.
The only solution I can think of would be to make the mount point of the
CD-ROM something under the /usr/ftp directory (e.g. /usr/ftp/pub/cdrom) and
make /cdrom a symlink to the new mount point. (swap what you are doing now).
-Chris