Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 2008 20:04:40 +0100
From:      Daniel Seuffert <DS@praxisvermittlung24.de>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Add a Splash Screen Section to the Handbook?

Gonzalo Nemmi wrote:
>> Wouldn't it be nice to have some FreeBSD specific splash
>> screens in the artwork section or elsewhere and you mention
>> it in your section?  Maybe it would be good idea to ask
>> on advocacy for proposals?
>
> Indeed .. I've been thinking about this for a long time ... there's a severe
> lack of FreeBSD related artwork .. so much so that I was thinking on paying
> some artists I know to come up with a series of FreeBSD
> boot/splash/backgrounds/sleeves and CD-DVD cover images ...
>
> Peer Schaefer's work (CD-ROM labels, sleeves and cases for FreeBSD) is
> impecable, but he seems to be the only one working on FreeBSD art:
>
> http://www.wolldingwacht.de/foss/freebsd/cdrom-artwork/
>
> I translated the text on his CD-ROM labels, sleeves and cases for FreeBSD into
> spanish in order to get some "globalized" advocacy:
>
> http://www.wolldingwacht.de/foss/freebsd/cdrom-artwork-es/

I suggest you have a look at:
http://misc.allbsd.de/CD-Stuff/

You can find any CD-/DVD-label I have ever produced for an
event and afaik there's every BSD you might need (if I have
forgotten something please let me know).

> On august this year, Daniel Seuffert was asking for posters to use at events:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-advocacy/2008-August/003701.html

Yes, that was me. We have 2 posters available now:
http://misc.allbsd.de/Poster/FreeBSD-Blue-PosterA2.tif
(designed by Aron Schlesinger)

http://misc.allbsd.de/Poster/beastie_end.pdf
(designed by Lars Engels aka lme@FreeBSD.org)

I want to have more posters (5 or more) if possible

> I believe OpenBSD sets the standar on this one .. with new OpenBSD related art
> on every release, posters, t-shirts, lots of stickers and so on ...

no doubt

> I've been hesitant on wether or not to bring this issue up on freebsd-advocacy
> but if I'm not alone on this one, I'm willing to do so.

we should pick up the idea from Manolis with the new forum
imho as well as advocacy

> I thought that Anton Gural's work would have put an end to this ... but it did
> not :(

artwork is a never ending story, you cannot have to much of
it...

On a side note:
Just in case you haven't seen it yet: We have a lot of
flyers available in English, French, German

http://misc.allbsd.de/Flyer/FreeBSD/

Maybe somebody is willing to translate to Spanish? ;-)

- Daniel