Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:43:23 +0100
From:      Anthony Atkielski <atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mail-reader & M$ exchange

v.demartino2@virgilio.it writes:

vdvi> 1) I want to read the mail on the server in /var/mail to root and to the
vdvi> users. What console email reader should I compile (to be used under a PUTTY
vdvi> window, I mean)?

The "mail" command should do this.  It lets you read your own mail, plus
the mail of others if you are root.  Works from any tty.

Assuming your running the usual mail software (sendmail et al.), you can
configure aliases to redirect mail to anywhere you wish.  For example,
in the aliases file, you can put a line like this:

xyz:    abc, def@mydomain.com

This will cause any incoming mail intended for local user xyz to be
routed to both local user abc and remote user def@mydomain.com.  So you
can route mail to your Exchange server and it should get through.  This
should not require any changes on the Exchange side.

The file you have to change is usually /etc/aliases or
/etc/mail/aliases, depending on your site configuration.  You must
execute the "newaliases" command after you change it, to rebuild the
aliases database.  I think you may also have to signal sendmail, too, as
follows:

#kill -HUP nnn

where nnn is the process ID of the parent sendmail process (use ps or
something to find it).

--
Anthony