Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 2004 16:22:34 -0500
From:      Jesse Guardiani <jesse@wingnet.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: raster display problem (FreeBSD vs Linux)

Bruce M Simpson wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 08:25:58AM +0100, Gianmarco Giovannelli wrote:
>> The fact seems not related to a particular Linux distro, but seems more
>> generalized, infact I tested a few ones and all succeded in using such
>> mode. Let's see if our console driver support it in the future... It is
>> not very useful on productive server, but it is very cute on a laptop
>> workstation.
>
> KGI is coming soon -- see the current FreeBSD Status Report.

Is that the only new functionality that KGI will bring? A graphical console?
I used Debian a few times with the framebuffer enabled and it was a mess on
my laptop. I couldn't even see the bottom 10 lines of the console. :) I like
my text console just fine. :)

Or does KGI also promise video driver interoperability between Linux and FreeBSD?
That would be pretty neat, but doesn't X11 already provide this? I'm just not
seeing the benefit to KGI.

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,