Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 00:32:06 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        "Kory Hamzeh" <kory@avatar.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Backup suggestions

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 19:11:08 -0700  "Kory Hamzeh" wrote:
 +------------------
 | Hi,
 |
 | I am setting up a system running 4.3-RELEASE. This system will have two IDE
 | drives, each being about 30G. I would like to write a cron jobs to copy all
 | of the filesystems from the first physical drive to the second one every
 | night. I want to make sure the second drive is an exact duplicate of the
 | first, so in case of a crash, I can make the second drive the master and
 | boot off of it.
 +------------------

My experiance is that these schemes don't help much.  You need to
edit /etc/fstab and other files so that the system will boot as
expected anyway.

IMHO a better plan is to have /, swap, /var, and /usr partitions
identical on both drives. Make sure the system normaly uses both
swap partitions.  make / as small as is reasonable (say 100meg)
make /usr no larger than it realy needs to be (say 5G) Install your
"running" operating system onto /, /var and /usr of drive one.
install your "recovery" operating system onto drive 2.  Make a
/disk directory and mount the remaining disk on both drives as /disk/1 and
/disk/2 on the "running" disk.  Make liberal use of symbolic links
to balance /home and other directories over the /disk/1 and /disk/2
partitions.

Use dump to write dumpfiles of the "running" partitions to /disk/2/backups
Use tar (or pax) to backup home directories and other precious data
to /disk/[12]/user_backup.  Use newsyslog to keep a few old copies
of backup data.  Use scp or sync to copy the backup directories to
a second computer.

Test your backups periodicaly. Test boot your "recovery" operating
system periodicaly.

Good Luck

--
    Chris Fedde