Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 1998 22:39:31 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Latest kernel

Chuck Robey wrote:

> I have 192M of swap, in two 96M partitions.  I have 64M of memory.  That
> ought to be hoards and hoards more than I need.

Yes, that's fine - I thought you might have had 96Mb of RAM :-)

> > If you can get the exact text it comes up with at panic time, in response to
> > you issuing 'panic' to DDB it might shed some light on things...
>
> I posted separately about what I found with the panic problem, at least
> as much as I could without being able to get the dump.  It's not all
> that useful, without all the context from teh dump itself.  I wanted
> this to concentrate on getting me the dump, not analysis of something I
> can't get yet.  I'm greedily waiting on advice on how to force the dump.

Yes, I can see that :-) ... What I'd be interested in is the text that appears
after you give DDB the 'panic' command, i.e. not the details of the panic that
bought you into DDB, but what happens between you telling DDB to dump (by
entering 'panic') and the system rebooting...

Ahh... I've just seen something I should have seen before...

"When the crash occurs, right after starting the smp stuff, and drops to
ddb, what's the command to get it to dump the crash dump?  Is it just
there automatically, and do I just type "panic" to get ddb to exit and
dump the core?"

OK - sounds like the system is panic'ing too early to get a crashdump...
Afterall, if the system hasn't read /etc/rc.conf - how's it know where to
dump? :)

All is becoming clearer...

In your kernel config, give this a try:

config          kernel  root on XXX dumps on da0s1b

Where XXX should already be your root filesystem... BE WARNED - in LINT it
doesn't recomend this, I don't know how reliable specifiying the dump device
is here!

If your building a new kernel, remember to keep your 'working' kernel safe on
the system (by copying it to '/kernel.works' or something - so you can still
boot in the future).

Give the above ago - and let me know what happens...

Sorry for the 'long way round' - I didn't read all the background mails :-(

Regards,

Karl