Date:      05 Nov 1999 00:52:46 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cron on laptops

Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org> writes:

> Are there any practical uses for cron and crontabs on a workstation
> laptop with a dialup PPP connection?  I mean, since you don't know
> what times you will be powered up....  And i guess this goes for all
> FBSD machines that get turned off every day.

If you want to run fetchmail, as Annelise pointed in her reply, and
you're thinking of some way to have it run in `daemon' mode, but only
when the ppp link is up, the /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup and ppp.linkdown files
are your friends.  I have in /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup

	!bg echo 'fetchmail -d 300' | su - charon

and in /etc/ppp/ppp.linkdown

	killall fetchmail

As for cron now.  You can tweak the /etc/periodic scripts to touch a
file every time they finish successfully, and then manually run another
script that would check if the proper interval has passed, and launch
`periodic' if too much time has passed without crond noticing it.

Regards,
Giorgos

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]