Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 2006 14:45:35 -0600
From:      Mark Kane <mark@mkproductions.org>
To:        Andrew Pantyukhin <infofarmer@gmail.com>
Cc:        "Panter V." <panter@as.ro>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: i386 or amd64 ?

--------------enigE5147C4727C9808BC002DE49

Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:
> On 2/15/06, Panter V. <panter@as.ro> wrote:
>> I want to use this computer as a development server and firewall. I wi=
ll
>> run Apache 2, PHP 5, MySQL, Samba, an FTP server ...
>=20
> You'll have no problems with these programs on amd64. Printer
> drivers are probably platform-independent
>=20
>> At a later time I would like to use this computer as a workstation as
>> well and I will need KDE, OpenOffice 2, Thunderbird, Firefox, Eclipse =
=2E..
>=20
> You'll probably want to use i386 on a workstation for
> various compatibility issues. Difference in speed is close
> to unmeasurable. Give amd64 a shot, but you might
> find a show-stopper and will have to switch to i386.
>=20
> So if you have some time to experiment, try amd64
> anyway. If you need to set up a box that you don't
> want to mess with once again, you'll have to stick to
> i386.

I use amd64 on my main workstation. There are a few things that I wish
worked, such as Flash (without using the Linux versions) and the nVidia
display drivers. Generally though everything else works great. Xorg,
Xfce, Firefox, Thunderbird, XChat, XMMS, mplayer, VLC, rTorrent, irssi,
klibido, K3b, Audacity, GIMP, etc are all programs that I use quite a
bit and have no problems with.

OpenOffice might be a little problem as I have not figured out Java yet
on amd64. I believe I have seen people do it but I have not had the need
to use it. I know it's a hassle even on i386 with getting all the files
manually from Sun's site and logging in and all that, so I just have not
bothered.

I'd try amd64 and see how it works for you. If it doesn't, you can
always switch.

-Mark

--=20
GnuPG Public Key:
http://www.mkproductions.org/mk_pubkey.asc

Internet Radio:
Party107 (Trance/Electronic) - http://www.party107.com
Rock 101.9 The Edge (Rock) - http://www.rock1019.net

IRC:
MIXXnet IRC Network - irc.mixxnet.net (Nick: MIXX941)