Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 2015 09:44:31 -0500
From:      Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Swap Questions

On 08/14/2015 08:35 AM, Ronald Klop wrote:
> Does the /dev/md99 device exist now? Otherwise something went wrong when you tried adding swap. Try swapon -a without the -q.

Yes, the device exists and yes, swapon claims is is in use:

swapon -a
swapon: md99 on /usr/swap0: Device already in use

But swapinfo doesn't know about it, if it is:

swapinfo
Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
/dev/gpt/swapfs   1048576   500300   548276    48%

I don't know whether this is just an artifact of how swapinfo reports things,
but the system acts like it's not seeing the additional swap when it is under
heavy load.

The main culprit here, BTW, is clamav which chews through memory like crazy
as best as I can determine, and this is a VM with only 512M of memory, hence
the desire to increase swap space.

Tim Daneliuk     tundra@tundraware.com