Date:      Thu, 15 Jan 1998 15:07:46 -0800
From:      Jonathan Hahn <hahn@and.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Booting off TORiSAN CDROM

I recently purchased a Sony VAIO 707C laptop and this is my first
laptop FreeBSD install.  It has a 14.5X TORiSAN CDROM, which I
gather is made by Sanyo.  I can't boot off the CDROM drive, nor
access it if I boot FreeBSD off floppy.  Am I SOL here?  I don't
see the TORiSAN mentioned in any of the FreeBSD docs.

Windows says it's a CDR_U112 CD-ROM and that no driver is installed
for it.

My question is how to proceed now.  I could purchase a PCMCIA SCSI
or ethernet controller and boot off a SCSI CDROM or over the net.
Will I be able to access either of these cards from a generic
kernel?  Last resort is a floppy install, or am I overlooking
something?

I eventually want to purchase both the PCICIA cards, but if I can't
use the TORiSAN CDROM, I may reconsider the VAIO laptop (I still
have 10 days to return).  I love the VAIO otherwise.

Is accessing the CDROM on laptops often a problem?  I'm wondering
if (I'm going to have trouble with the touch pad too.)

Thanks in advance,
-jonathan hahn
							Jonathan Hahn
							And Communications
							hahn@and.com

P.S. I did check the FreeBSD archives first, but they are not on
line...  Wouldn't you know they're gone when I need them.